(VIDEO) VETS FOR FREEDOM CRASH THE BUSH LEGACY BUS

August 29, 2008

The anti-Bush mobile museum dubbed “The Bush Legacy Tour” bus rolled its way through Denver for the Democratic Convention this week, and your Founding Bloggers took the dime tour to see first-hand how Moveon-dot-org would write the Bush legacy if given a chance.

To get a taste for yourself how unbalanced this display of partisanship is, you can visit the official website of the tour. The themes are well known to most; worst economy ever, responsible for Katrina damage, destroying the environment, doing big oil’s bidding…blah blah blah.

The truly offensive section on the bus though is the Iraq installation. Americans United For Change, the people who are responsible for rolling out this mobile museum, don’t seem to have any problem showing insurgent snuff-films for political gain, or calling the war a failure while we have troops in the field fighting and winning the battle.

Thankfully, there are more responsible elements out there that are taking the time to educate people about how the war is really going. Those people include Pete Hegseth and David Bellavia of Vets For Freedom. They just returned from Iraq and generously took the time to visit your Founding Bloggers. Together we all ventured into the liberal fever swamp of the Soros-funded, hyper partisan, Bush Legacy Bus. Of course, we had our camera in tow.

The result? A polite yet challenging encounter with the curators of the exhibits. What happens when distortions, spin, and talking points are surrounded by hard firsthand facts? Check out the video and see for yourself.

UPDATE: We got mail.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

26 Responses to (VIDEO) VETS FOR FREEDOM CRASH THE BUSH LEGACY BUS

1. Carlos on August 30, 2008 at 3:52 am

I like the style of the interview, it is calm, and exposes the irrational rage and lack of objectivity of moveOn.Org.

You could see the bottled-up anger the guy moveOn guy had, and not one based on some kind of righteous indignation

Politicizing the war is a horrible thing shame on moveOn.org

it is also irrational to blame the president for every wrong doing by government officials and others representing the US gov. like some of the unscrupulous war contractors (I’m a conservative and I’ve got to admit they existed and lack of oversight was Republican negligence)

2. LindaSoG on August 30, 2008 at 1:59 pm

That vid was a pleasure to watch, calm, reasoned and rational on your side. Thank you for standing up and doing it so well.

3. DrHardcrab on August 30, 2008 at 3:22 pm

Very well done! It’s been forwarded to all of my contacts (even the Bush Bashers I know)…

4. RT on August 30, 2008 at 9:25 pm

I guess it is all in how “failed” is defined. What a bunch a losers.

You all did an awesome job! Great video!

5. [...] 30, 2008 by allrtee A frequent commenter on Wyatt’s blog, Sully, left a link to Founding Bloggers.  The post has a video of a field trip of sorts.  This little trip is on a bus that wants to [...]

6. [...] this war today.** It must really suck hoping and wishing that your country loses on the battlefield.Founding Bloggers has much more on this encounter including this:Thankfully, there are more responsible elements out [...]

7. Jeremy J. Funk on August 31, 2008 at 2:08 am

I’m the “loser” that with the “irrational rage” and “lack of objectivity” and “bottled-up anger” in the video. Here I thought I had I given an Iraq War Veteran the utmost respect he deserves. Here I thought I treated him like the hero he is. Here I thought I was respectful, conciliatory, humbled, and open-minded to his opinions.

But, personal stuff aside, it boils down to serious a difference of opinion. Like the majority of the American people, I don’t want to see one more of our brave men and women dying in the crosshairs of an Iraqi civil war. I don’t want to see another mother suffer, like the mother of Sgt. Patrick R. McCaffrey. Sgt. McCaffrey’s mother reached out to us with her son’s story of how the Pentagon lied to her about her son being killed by the same Iraqi forces he was training. She donated his combat boots to the Bush Legacy Bus in hopes that not another mother would feel the same pain and betrayal.

I want our troops to come home from Iraq as quickly and responsibly as possible, and I want the eye back on the ball in Afghanistan where the real threat is – where the terrorists that actually attacked us on 911 are thriving once again. Even Ambassador Ryan Crocker admits that Afghanistan, not Iraq, is the central front against Al Qaeda: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EH57bOZbJ3o

We’ve heard a lot from the “liberal media” you folks decry so much about the so-called “success” of the “surge.” The reality is, civil strife is still flaming every day: just one example this week, a suicide bomber killed 28 police recruits in Quaragh Tappah:

But you probably didn’t hear about that or any of the other deadly civil bombings this week or last or the week before. Certainly, the increased troop presence has helped decrease violence on U.S. forces, thank God, but terrible Shiite on Shiite violence continues every day, and a good deal of the overall decrease in violence is credited to a cease fire agreement, albeit a fragile one, between radical Shiite Muslim cleric Muqtada Sadr and Shiite Iraq PM Maliki.

Shiite on Shiite violence has been nothing new. And, in the last several months, the U.S. government has taken one side of a bloody, religious, sectarian civil war – spending $12 billion a month and many U.S. dead and wounded in the process. That’s where Veterans for Freedom/John McCain and Americans United for Change, the American people, and the Iraqi government disagree. VFF and McCain want to keep our soldiers in harm’s way of a civil war indefinitely until they achieve some undefined, unattainable “victory” whether it takes 100 years or more. But, our troops have already done everything they’ve been asked to do and a lot more serving 2-3 or more tours. My best friend Dan Burke is in Iraq right now serving a second tour.

Now that the Iraqi parliament and PM Maliki have publicly called on us to leave and are close to a deal with the U.S. government for a timetable for withdrawal, it’s time that Vets for Freedom and John McCain of 2008 concur with the John McCain of 2004 who when asked what he would do if a sovereign Iraqi government asked us to leave said: “it’s obvious that we would have to leave because — if it was an elected government of Iraq, and we’ve been asked to leave other places in the world. If it were an extremist government then I think we would have other challenges, but I don’t see how we could stay when our whole emphasis and policy has been based on turning the Iraqi government over to the Iraqi people.”: http://www.democracyarsenal.org/2008/07/in-2004-mccain.html

Even President Bush has agreed to “time horizons” and his administration is reportedly set to agree to a status-of-forces agreement with Iraq that begins the safe and orderly withdrawal of most U.S. troops by the end of 2011. While stomping about the Bush Legacy Bus and complaining about our fact-based Iraq exhibit, I didn’t once hear Veterans for Freedom call President Bush a “traitor” or a “cut and runner.” Why not?

Jeremy J. Funk, Americans United for Change

8. Jaynie59 on August 31, 2008 at 5:01 am

Dear Mr. Funk,

Your anger is obvious, as it was in the video. Your lack of knowledge, that was shown in the video, cannot be erased by the fact that you obviously have either done some Googling since the video was shot, or more likely, got your facts from the same biased sources most liberals always get their facts from. I’ll leave your “fact” up to others.

I’m only going to comment on one part of your post. Unlike you, I don’t form opinions on things I know nothing about.

“Here I thought I had I given an Iraq War Veteran the utmost respect he deserves. Here I thought I treated him like the hero he is. Here I thought I was respectful, conciliatory, humbled, and open-minded to his opinions.”

First of all, there were two veterans. Not one. Second of all, you were not in any way respectful to either one of them. Your first reaction, when you surmised they were with VFF, which you obviously knew about, was to attempt to throw them off the bus. They were much more respectful to you than you deserved.

How they managed that I’ll never know.

You were scared. That was obvious. Your voice is shaking throughout the entire encounter. Why? Maybe because it’s the first time you ever actually had to be face to face with the soldiers you so obviously despise.

What? Did you think all Iraqi vets are homeless drug addicts who live under bridges? Did it surprise you to see two in person who didn’t fit the narrative that liberals love to promote about our soldiers?

No, I guess people like you are much more comfortable exploiting the pain and heartache of the parents of our fallen soldiers so you and your ilk can make a political point.

I’d like to think that’s what kept you up tonight.

9. syn on August 31, 2008 at 8:05 am

Jeremy J. Funk

The problem with your exhibition is that it is not ‘fact-based.

You have an specific agenda which is neither about Iraq or our troops.

Your exhibit is about propaganda to inspire Bush impeachment, for you it is all about “getting Bush” tour funded quite heavily by you know who; so your explanation is disingenuous.

We get it…you and Soros hate President Bush…fine however is it necessary to use our military and their families to manipulate your real intentions.

I find it rather astounding that your friend is currently in Iraq yet your entire exhibition portray’s your friend’s chosen profession as losers who are not worthly of carrying out their mission; listen…those working for George Soros think that all who choose to serve in the US Armed Forces are stupid, ignorant, backward hicks under the spell of President Bush.

Mr. Funk you don’t seem to show much respect for your friend; I would not want such a friend as you looking out for my back.

Neither President Bush nor Congress won the war in Iraq, it was the boots on Iraq soil who defeated the enemy in quite determination through courage, strength and will to succeed.

All you can do is drive a bus full of noxious propaganda about how futile, worthless and useless are those who serve; you are not strong enough or wise enough to claim you are watching their backs. No, the only strength you have is to stab them in the back.

10. d.o. on August 31, 2008 at 9:18 am

O, sorry, the “worst economy ever, responsible for Katrina damage, destroying the environment, doing big oil’s bidding” aren’t Bush regime legacies? What else is happening in your parallel universe? America doesn’t torture?

11. syn on August 31, 2008 at 11:43 am

“America doesn’t torture?”

The only people in America who are torturers are those who are having sex at their local sado-masochist clubs or when they wish to mimic Mapplethorpe; these are the geniuses who enjoy hooking up their balls to car batteries to get a hard-on, or whipping women hanging from the ceiling by chains, or putting some wimpy man-boy tight-closed cages or crapping their feces all over some loser’s face.

No America doesn’t not torture, the freaks in America torture but they are aliens from another universe who aren’t American.

12. syn on August 31, 2008 at 11:47 am

One more point, Madam Sadist Pelosi is the leader of the torturing freaks; it’s why her face is so stiff and alien to America.

13. Thirtymac on August 31, 2008 at 1:13 pm

Well done, gentlemen.

As a veteran, I was well pleased to hear you speak with knowledge and eloquence on this issue. It casts light on the MSM’s well worn meme that soldiers are backwards knuckledraggers who joined the military as a last resort and for nothing more than three hots and a cot.

As an added bonus, it stood in stark contrast to the “facilitator”, whose bumbling and mumbling reminded me of one who is now in the news and can’t seem to speak coherently without a teleprompter.

It truly made me proud of my country, albeit not for the first time.

14. John on August 31, 2008 at 4:57 pm

Mr. Funk did look a little scared, rattled and very unsure of what to say to both of these vets. I’m sure his side will dismiss that a partisan bias, but if it were one of the vets in the video who spoke as he did I’d be disappointed but say the same thing. As it is, they did a superb job! Bravo Zulu, guys!

15. JACK on August 31, 2008 at 5:40 pm

Mr. Funk,
    Your just a democrat. Come on admit it. If you really wanted the “truth”. You would have had a Bill Clinton legacy bus. Your just a partisan guy. Will you have a bus for Barrack Obama if he becomes president? On the legacy of the Afghanistan war? I just don’t get it. On the one hand you want us out of Iraq and on the other send more troops to Afghanistan war? I just don’t get it. Its still war no matter where you are. Hey maybe you can find a way to demonize the Generals there too. Are men and women have been kicking the crap out of Al-Qaeda up and down Iraq and you don’t like it? God bless are brave brave brave troops.

I would like an answer Sir.

16. [...] is traveling the country promoting an insurgent snuff film of an attack on US soldiers.Here is the video- Click on the photo:The director of communications of the “Bush Legacy” bus was nearly in tears [...]

17. Theodore on September 1, 2008 at 3:03 am

What a concept.
    When will the Democrat-party’s war legacy bus be making a national tour? Certainly everyone wants to be enlightened about the Democrat party’s role in nearly a century of sending the USA to war all over the world. Think of all the material. Here are few suggestions: Start with a display of “the progressive party’s pacifist” president – Wilson – who sent our men and women to fight WWI; next WWII when the Democrat not only sent our armed forces around the world – but also sent some of his own citizens to concentration camps (because they were of Japanese ethnic backgrounds); then onto the first use of a nuclear weapon -dropped on hundreds of thousands of innocnet civilians – by a Democrat president – the same Democrat then sent our people to war in Korea (hey, those Koreans were directly threatening our homeland of the USA – weren’t they?) and this same Democrat set up the next major conflict in which millions would die – the S.E. Asia wars. That took a while, but 3 Democrat presidents had the full backing of the USA in order to prosecute these wars. By the way – the US troops sent all over the world by these 4 Democrats – are still there – 65 years after the wars ended -in Germany, Japan, Okinawa, Spain, Italy, and England. Talking about “bring the troops home” – how come when Democrats start wars – there’s no time limit to how long our troops are going stay? Another very interesting unavoidable historical fact is that whenever a Republican president comes along – he is not allowed to make war. No. Only the Democrats can do that. Look at Nixon. He was handed the load of the Vietnam war and got literally hounded out of office – because he dared to actually fight a war -in order to win it, end it, and bring our troops home. Instead – he was chased from office by the new phenomenon called the “peace movement”. Something never seen during any of those wars the Democrats started. The next republican who came along – didn’t dare to start a major war – so he ended the longest running war of our US history – the “cold war” by not sending any US troops (or any from all our European “friends” into harms way. Well, peace didn’t last long as the next pres was Democrat – and though he wasn’t much into the military thing – he still managed to bomb innocent civilians and turn over a large chunk of one country to peoples with some very strange allies (global terrorist). So that should make a really good historical lesson which certainly all the Democrats and their “peace activist” allies want the nation to know about.
    How about it soros – can you fund that and get it on the road soon?

18. Prospector on September 1, 2008 at 12:43 pm

Here’s on old leatherneck’s “Oooooooooooooorrraaaaaaaaaahh!” to our fine men and women in uniform and those who wore the uniform.

I say we win! That is how we honor ourselves and our Iraqi friends.

19. redleg on September 3, 2008 at 6:17 pm

Excellent interview! I didn’t think the fellow was scared or angry. I thought he was simply having problems dealing with the truth. He seemed comfortable only with the cliche’s and shopworn “facts”. Maybe the thought of facing real soldiers unnerved him. Who knows?

Congratulations on an outstanding blog and thanks for your service.

20. heroyalwhyness on September 13, 2008 at 7:16 pm

“Maybe there’s a surge annex trailer at the end of the bus” – ha ha – that was a great line!

Pete Hegseth & Dave Bellavia demonstrate why I adore our men and women in uniform. They each make us all so proud.

Having more reason than most to be riled by the negative bias concentrated on that bus, Pete and Dave each tempered their first hand experience into a well reasoned, rational discussion.

I thank God every day we have real men like these two fine young veterans who recognize pure evil and sacrifice so much while facing the danger directly so that our children will not have to.

21. Jeremy J Funk on October 16, 2008 at 10:52 pm

I had totally forgotten about you irrelevant virgins until I received a belated “Bush Legacy Tour” google alert tonight linking to your site — which means it took a hell of a while to collect enough hits to justify an alert.

Looking back at it, I agree, I am definitely not and never will be a confident “bring our brave troops home out of the crosshairs of endlesss religious strife in Iraq” spokesman in the face of a real life Iraq veteran. Much like you guys wouldn’t be if Jon Soltz of VoteVets.org confronted you right now in your parents’ basement.

But, the thing that really jumped out at me looking at this again is that you all make a major point of there being 2, not 1, veterans on the bus that day – counting the two officials from Vets for Freedom. That implicitly means that not one of the Founding Blogger representatives on the bus that day was a veteran. That also implicitly means that this blog, like so many conservatives, throw around a lot of loud, vituperative, empty chicken hawk, neo-con tough guy rhetoric with absolutely no intention of personally contributing anything yourself to the misguided, disastrous, deadly and costly movement.

You asked me how I sleep at night. Not well, knowing my best friend Dan Burke is there right now defending your bullshit.

22. Jim on March 30, 2009 at 2:16 pm

Jeremy J Funk hahahaha yuo fool. You really should be afraid to come back here to post..What a joke you are as was the entire Bush Legacy Bus. Made up, fabricated bs. There were 2 vets speaking very well on a subject they know a lot more about then yuo. and as for Jon Soltz of VoteVets.org , lol bring him on you fool! What ya thinnk about obama the messiah now, more troops to Afghanistan….Where are you now?

23. Laurel North on April 17, 2009 at 11:43 pm

As a grandmother who has spent years sending packages to our troops, watching “my” soldiers intelligently explain how some things are worth dying for to someone who does not have a clue, I just want to hug my 2 soldiers and give them a great big kiss of appreciation. Our military men and women are the special young people who will get us through these hard times while serving “over there” and when they get back here. God bless our military.

24. Tim on April 26, 2009 at 3:03 pm

I wish they hit on the 18 benchmarks that were being hit, that was far more convincing to me than anything else they said. The appeals to fear at the end were ridiculous and just discredited with me they didn’t have their own political agenda to set forth. Cool to see the other side speak their mind, uncool to see that they just want to get the agenda across.

25. baal on March 27, 2010 at 5:35 pm

Jeremy J Funk,

Pick a side. This is your chance for a do-over. This is a chance to make right for all of the poison that you brought to our country out of your self hatred and hatred for this country. You sided with those people killing americans, you picked the side of those people who killed our friends, family, and neighbors.

You can still choose America.

Please do.