YouTube Has Restored Our CNN Clip And The 3000+ Comments!!!

May 21, 2009

Finally, a small victory in our battle against CNN and their abuse of the DMCA take down procedures.

Today we received the following message from YouTube:

In accordance with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, we’ve completed processing your counter-notification regarding your video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd2tg8gxCDU .

This content has been restored and your account will not be penalized.

Sincerely,

Harry
The YouTube Team

Below is the clip that CNN fraudulently forced YouTube to take down, in a vain attempt to silence us.

Very big thanks goes out to our attorneys at EFF and David Adler!

We also want to thank Ben Sheffner, Patterico, Michelle Malkin and Instapundit for all of their efforts and support though this part of the process of defending our rights.

We also want to thank YouTubers Fearblocke and themaskedanalyst for their support, as well as the hundreds of others who chose to upload the clip into their accounts in defiance of CNN’s attempt to silence embarrassing criticism.

The only questions left are…what now? What comes next?

UPDATE: We knew we would leave someone out. We cannot go without thanking the good folks at Hot Air! for everything they did to bring exposure to our clip. You all have our deepest gratitude.

UPDATE II: We also need to thank NewsBusters for their tremendous efforts to shine light on this story.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

30 Responses to YouTube Has Restored Our CNN Clip And The 3000+ Comments!!!

1. themaskedanalyst on May 21, 2009 at 9:17 pm

Thanks for the mention, and I’m glad to see that this was restored. It should have been restored before this, but better late then never.

2. mcnorman on May 21, 2009 at 10:29 pm

Yeah!

3. Chaz on May 22, 2009 at 10:08 am

I’m glad to see you got this back up… Unfortunately I hear a terrible sound in the background… I think your server’s crashing.

4. David Mastio on May 22, 2009 at 10:25 am

5. admin on May 22, 2009 at 10:28 am

Chaz- The server is doing okay it’s the database that is working in overdrive at the moment.

6. 2klbofun on May 22, 2009 at 11:22 am

“What comes next?”

Well as I see it, the DMCA (even w/ its massive flaws), worked as designed.

CNN claimed a copyright enfringement when none existed, requested a takedown. And when it became obvious that they did not have a valid takedown request, it was rectified.

The worst part about the DMCA is that the “offender” is presumed guilty and has to prove innocence. Its that way to protect legitimate copyright holders. Unfortunate CNN chooses to abuse the rules.

7. Bobby on May 22, 2009 at 11:38 am

If you don’t want to be censored, then don’t use youtube. It’s as simple as that. Stop being lazy and host your own media on your own server and learn how to compress and embed video on your own site. As long as you allow youtube to control your video they will continue to censor it. Serves you right for being lazy. I’m glad you got it reversed, but you’ve got to understand how this medium works. Some day there will only be ONE viewpoint on youtube-likely not yours.

8. Jim in Wisconsin on May 22, 2009 at 11:40 am

@David Mastio:

You said: “It is a sad day for journalism when journalists twist the law to silence their critics. I am embarrassed for my profession.”

Don’t be embarrassed for your profession; you are still a member of the profession of journalism. Hold your head up, you’re a member of a small and vanishing profession, and you need not be embarrassed.

The whores at CNN and at most of the mainstream media have forsaken the profession of journalism, if indeed they ever embraced it, and taken up in its place the occupation of lapdog. They dutifully practice the art of stenography, and reproduce the talking points they’ve been given. I hesitate to use the term “stenography”, as that is also an honorable occupation.

I have nothing but contempt for the fifth column formerly known as “The Fourth Estate”.

9. pst314 on May 22, 2009 at 12:16 pm

“Serves you right for being lazy.”

Lazy?? This is how you offer advice to those you sympathize with? You don’t have many friends, do you?

10. NancyGee on May 22, 2009 at 12:32 pm

Took my car to the car doctor yesterday and was forced to endure CNN’s “analysis” of Obama’s speech for longer than I cared to. Wolf Blitzer is sounding downright peevish, in addition to being overtly stupid. What a bunch of doofi — they must feel like the Indians are penetrating their ring of circled wagons and this YouTube event is just one more flaming arrow lighting up their overall incompetence.

11. Carole Sluis on May 22, 2009 at 12:33 pm

Great for you guys! Thanks for fighting for our freedom of speech! Who’d have thought in this day and age of transparency (HA!)that we would have news agencys roll over and play dead!Now that is really a creep factor…carry on!! Carole

12. Brother J on May 22, 2009 at 7:25 pm

Congratulations on getting your rights vindicated. However, I can only say that you “won”. I add the quotatio marks because while strictly speaking you did win, it is now a solid month since CNN got your video taken down and the passage of time has diminished the impact of the video. So, CNN “won” too.

It’s a shame that the DMCA takedown notice process can be abused in this way. CNN knew it didn’t have a leg to stand on, but there is no penalty for them in filing patently frivolous takedown claims.

I won’t call you lazy, as Bobby did above. I don’t think anything of the sort. But he is correct that you are going to be held hostage to YouTube’s lack of a spine unless you can host video yourself.

13. Nolanimrod on May 22, 2009 at 9:33 pm

DMCA did NOT!!! work the way it is supposed to, unless it was supposed to allow the sort of thing CNN and You Tube did. The clip originally aired, what? A month ago? More? It should not have taken all this time to determine that most of the footage was yours, not CNN’s, and the CNN footage was there only as a starting point for yours. I saw that when I first viewed it. Funny how all these free-speech champions only champion it for themselves.

14. Dr. Jans Pacebags, esq. on May 23, 2009 at 3:55 am

correct me if i’m wrong, but the charge of laziness is itself lazy.

to wit:

1. the video was always available at this website, &

2. many pirated versions appeared on youtube, the DMCA hang-up notwithstanding.

15. J Milam on May 23, 2009 at 9:34 am

Congratulations. The sense of satisfaction in being vindicated is great. But this ain’t over. Susan Roesgen is a disgrace to the profession, and sadly, indicative of a good deal of what passes for journalism these days. The confrontation, advocacy and outright disinformation flowing across our TV screens in a never ending stream badly serves all of us, no matter your political persuasion.

If I were running CNN, I’d have fired her.

16. CNN coverup fails « Internet Scofflaw on May 23, 2009 at 11:39 am

[...] Susan Roesgen, making an ass of herself while “reporting” on tax day tea parties have failed.  (Via [...]

17. Red on May 23, 2009 at 6:50 pm

Kudos to The Founding Bloggers …

Our Founding Fathers would be proud.

And the next time reporters act like liberal hacks another blogger will be there to video it as well.

Congratulations.
    R

18. Dave Lincoln on May 24, 2009 at 1:27 pm

“Took my car to the car doctor yesterday and was forced to endure CNN’s “analysis” of Obama’s speech for longer than I cared to.”

NancyGee: Do what I do (doctor’s office in my case). Ask if anyone is watching and turn off the damn TV. Oh, simultaneously, I mean. haha. Sometimes, you just have to pull that plug, or even get up on a chair. Most people are kind of grateful for some silence.

Or, change your own oil (I do), or operate on your own gallbladder (I don’t, as I haven’t found a really good video on how-to yet on you-tube ;-).

For Bobby, on the you-tube vs own server question. You are right that if a large majority relies on you-tube they can be screwed easily (as in this example), and you-tube will be another GNN (Government News Network) in no time. However, I can’t say that the FoundingBloggers were lazy. I don’t know. You have a good point though.

19. [...] adventures in advocacy in his report on the July Tea Parties; Founding Bloggers, who had the video that CNN rather badly wanted to go away; and Hot Air, which is openly wondering when MSNBC will [...]

20. [...] adventures in advocacy in his report on the July Tea Parties; Founding Bloggers, who had the video that CNN rather badly wanted to go away; and Hot Air, which is openly wondering when MSNBC will [...]

21. john durant on September 14, 2009 at 2:08 pm

The best question EVER asked OF a so called objective reporter, “Are you certified stupid?”.

22. pony solider on September 18, 2009 at 4:15 pm

just found this site GREAT viewed the Malkin tape…she has more guts than most of the politicans

23. Pat on December 1, 2009 at 1:22 pm

Thanks for putting this up! I was there in Chicago on tax day 2009 and saw most of the whole thing.The tea party was quiet, very peaceful until the CNN reporter showed up(only until she started her lies that the small group around her got mad)I saw the CNN reporter “look around for blacks” she walked 6feet on either side of her, she incited people by her lies on what she reported(that is why people were screaming because she was lying about the signs and the # of blacks in the crowd)I am a housewife, never political before and that tea party just pulled at my American heart strings-like that women said we are just regular Americans who love this country and are tired and sick of what is going on to take it from us. Again, Thank you for finding this whole tape.

24. » Hypocrisy Matters For America - Big Government on January 16, 2010 at 12:58 pm

25. IFC News Hypocrisy Matters For America on January 16, 2010 at 2:14 pm

26. » Hypocrisy Matters For America - Big Journalism on January 16, 2010 at 6:03 pm

27. [...] like to see lamestream media outlets there. More often than not, when they cover the Tea Parties, they embarrass themselves in a way that simultaneously exposes their bias, while energizing and growing the [...]

28. Ed Driscoll » Speaking Swastika to Power on May 30, 2010 at 4:42 pm

[...] power, as CNN’s Susan Roesgen did three years before she blew a gasket (and her own career) getting the vapors over a conservative quoting Lincoln and his first conservative protest — and very likely hers [...]

29. Bakersfield Ex on June 13, 2010 at 10:58 pm

I am sure like me, most residents and ex-residents of Bakersfield, California are hanging their head in shame at the thought that Susan Roesgen, who spent a vast amount of her career in Bakersfield, rather than simply reporting an event has sunk to such a pathetic level to try to make the news and twist the truth

30. [...] I think it’s exceedingly safe to say that we can exclude CNN from the list of “the people who sent you there,” if that “you” refers to any Tea Party-backed candidate. [...]