September 18, 2009

There is no sign of the blog wars letting up, with RS McCain predicting Michelle Malkin will be “attacked” by Charles Johnson of LGF.

Ace of Spades has the details of an attack that I had actually predicted Thursday morning in an e-mail to Michelle Malkin.

In response, Hot Air has moved LGF from the “War On Terror” category to the “Left Blogs” category (notice they didn’t feel the need to dramatically de-link).

Meanwhile, bloggers are falling all over each other to claim the highest level of rejection of their former idol.

A very unfortunate boycott campaign has started, complete with a graphic.

And Pam Geller is claiming victory in her battlefront of the blog war.

UPDATE: Rob from Joshua Pundit has written in to tell us that he is not “falling all over himself” and that CJ is not his “former idol”. Duly noted and we stand corrected.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

11 Responses to Blog Wars Update: Hot Air Moves Little Green Footballs From ‘War Blog’ To ‘Lefty Blog’

1. Rhymes With Right on September 18, 2009 at 7:34 pm

The problem is that this is a war not of our choosing. Johnson has taken to blasting anyone who deviates from his views and bans most anyone who dares to disagree with him. He has quit being a part of the right while still claiming to be — and claiming the privilege of defining what is acceptable conservative belief. May as well turn that job over to Kos, Oliver Willis, Digby, or Firedoglake.

Charles simply attacked the wrong guys — folks who are too well-respected for him to marginalize — and when they pushed back a lot of us recognized that the time for silence was over.

2. pst314 on September 18, 2009 at 11:48 pm

I agree: Charles has become either an amoral partisan for the left or has simply gone off the rails. Some of his exchanges with impeccably polite commenters are painful, creepy even.

3. pst314 on September 18, 2009 at 11:50 pm

Oh–and not to mention his quickness to ban and purge those who dissent. (BTW, he seems to have a frothing hatred for creationists, but all the creationists I have known have been unfailingly courteous and kind to me even though I firmly believe in the correctness of theory of evolution by natural selection. As for his intolerance of those who notice Obama’s affection for fascists and Stalinists, well, what can one say?)

4. Rob on September 19, 2009 at 3:24 am

Hi,
    You have every right to your opinion, but I sort of resent it – just a tiny little bit – that you would characterize my reaction to Charles Johnson as ‘falling all over myself to reject’ a former idol.

Charles was never an ‘idol’. As I make clear in the piece, I always felt that his vendetta against Atlas and Gates Of Vienna was personal. Pam, the Baron and Dymphna from Gates of Vienna are all friends, and I knew they weren’t fascists or bigots. I even went to the trouble of e-mailing Charles to try and facilitate a truce – he never replied.

In every case, he’s been the aggressor.

I simply stopped hanging out on his site as the body count got bigger and I saw that the swamp consisted of three creatures – his vicious attacks on personal enemies , Christians and ‘creationists’, the links other people posted and his occasional photos and music videos.

The last straw for me was attacking McCain and Jim Hoft of Gateway as ra-aa-cists, a charge he has absolutely no proof of.

And believe me, I’ve seen his ‘proof’ on McCain ( he never offered any on Jim). It’s a collection of lies, innuendos and guilt by association that would make the Kos Kids blush with envy.

Sending his shill Kilgore Trout to defame other sites alone is reason for decent people to boycott him.

Ultimately,what it was about for Chuckie was personal score settling and most of all money.He’s going Left because he looks at Atrios, Kos and Firedog Lake and sees them coordinate their sites with the White House on a daily basis and operating as basically paid advertisers.He wants in,baby.

Look at the comments section of my piece. There’s a quote there from Charles that a reader sent me that tells the whole story.

He’s basically like the Sharon Stone character Ginger in the movie “Casino”..the whore wants a new sponsor.

Regards,
    Rob@JoshuaPundit

5. Sully on September 19, 2009 at 9:21 am

This is all strange to me. I’ve never considered Charles to be right wing in the first place. He has more in common with Chris Hitchens as far as his views on religion go.

The man loathes religion altogether. In the war on radical Islam, that makes him an ally. I think his greatest fear is the emergence of a radical Christianity forming at home.

I don’t see that happening, but I also don’t get bulk hate mail from nut jobs. If I did, I might become a bit jaded and oversensitive after a few years of it.

In the grand scheme, I think Charles helps keep the right honest by holding up a mirror now and then.

I’m going the other way on this…. I’m adding him to my blogroll.

6. Jaynie59 on September 19, 2009 at 11:07 am

Sully on September 19, 2009 9:21 am :

As an atheist who has nothing but contempt for all religious people, I can say with all honesty that Charles Johnson’s hatred of Christians goes far beyond a blanket judgment of religion and religious people.

CJ’s defense of Islam and Muslims is proof that his problem is not with religion. His problem is with Christians. Like all liberals, Charles seems to think Islam is the only religion that deserves to be defended and most of them do it blindly, or do it because they have fallen for the widespread belief that Islam is The Religion of Peace that has been “hijacked” by the extremists.

Charles Johnson knows better. Yet he has made a deliberate decision to defend Islam and attack Christians. His attack on Pamela was a personal attack, probably driven by his hatred of Christians, also.

How is an attack on a proud Israel supporting Jewish woman a symptom of Christian hatred? Well, it’s really very simple:

Liberals believe that America’s support of Israel is fueled by right-wing-Fundamentalist Christianity. Liberals really believe that Zionism is the Right’s plan for bringing about the End of Days and The Rapture, which is when all good Christians are saved.

Honest to Gawd I am not making this up. If you talk to any Liberal in any kind of depth, they always get around to why conservatives support Israel.

As for CJ and LGF, no matter what he and his minions have done over the past couple of years, it is now pretty obvious that he is now simply trolling for traffic. Which is fine. But when CJ made his Rifqa Bary post last week in a blatant attempt to attack Robert and Pamela again, he sunk to a level so low that no decent person can ever defend.

No matter how you feel about religion in general, or any religion in particular, to see a 17 year old girl used in such a way was despicable.

7. Sully on September 19, 2009 at 3:22 pm

Hi Jaynie,

You raise some interesting points. Lets take them on.

I’m not an atheist, I’m more a non-practicing agnostic who disagrees with all religions, but tries pretty damn hard to be respectful of them. There are simply people in the world who need it because it fills a space in their life that they are either incapable or unwilling to deal with on their own. Not everyone can handle being alone in the universe.

Does Charles have a more than healthy contempt for Christianity… oh yeah… always did. Pre 9/11, that would have defined him. Post 9/11 just expanded his contempt to include Islam.

As far as CJ being the great defender of Islam…. Yeah, right. They just love him for all his defending. Charles used their own words against them and let them damn themselves. It’s a great tactic.

As far as the whole rapture / defense of Israel headache, I’ve only met a few liberals who feel that way… and I’ve only met a few conservatives who believe it. I think the numbers on both sides kinda cancel each other out in a stupidity wash.

Personally, I’m on board with supporting Israel because not supporting her will result in the mass murder of every man, woman and child in Israel. I’m not sure why that’s so hard to grasp.

(BTW, you made a blanket statement of your own there.) You can’t get all liberals to agree on anything, same goes for conservatives.

As far as the treatment of a 17 year old child, I’m on board with you there. Children should never be used as props in any debate. It’s low rent and I don’t have much tolerance for it. If a pattern emerges, I’ll reconsider my view.

8. Ryan on September 19, 2009 at 3:48 pm

It’s weird that this is going on. I first came across LGF when I got into blogging several months ago. It was listed in a lot of places as an A-list blog. On my own accord, I deleted it from my feed reader because of their coverage of the Tea Party. (It was nothing but post after post pointing out the minority crazy people.) I got tired of it and deleted ‘em.

9. Rose on September 22, 2009 at 2:36 am

The bannings are hot and heavy. Ask, “Charles, are you ok?” banned. Upding the wrong comment, Banned. Voice a contrary opinion, Banned. It’s weird and the climate there gets weirder by the day. Psychotic, really. With long time posters standing by in tortured silence as their friends are attacked by the gangdingers and then banned. And they’re grateful he didn’t turn his eye on them. So they make inane conversation, careful not to step out of line.

Then they find that if they comment at another blog, that’s a bannable offense, if they link to the wrong blog from their own blog, that’s a bannable offense…

How do you explain why it matters so much to people? they have been made to feel that they are a part of a community, and even though it has turned toxic, they want to stay. The bannings, once they happen, are an outright betrayal of everything they believed about that community. It’s weird. And getting weirder. The pretenses no longer matter.

If you’ve been banned – add your name to the list of the banned at Kirly’s – and hey, you may find long lost friends waiting to welcome you out of your Stockholm’s Syndrome – Banned-a-monium! There is life after LGF!

10. winston on September 23, 2009 at 1:35 am

I delinked him a yr ago….

11. Jay on January 29, 2010 at 3:41 pm

Sorry to say even HotAir is becoming a PC RINO haven where those who hold dissenting non-RINO views are flamed and accused of crimes against nature and such.The race card gets played over and over as well as the stuffy homophobe stance. Politics in America has changed dramatically since the 2008 election and is becoming more and more tribal and race oriented.It’s time to face that reality and stop playing silly games with D’s,R’s and I’s. Perhaps when that happens, we can all enjoy intelligent discourse and express ourselves freely.Ms.Malkin, though brilliant and resourceful,really needs to clean house and decide whose side she really is on.