Warning: sem_get() [function.sem-get]: failed for key 0x152b: No space left on device in /usr/www/users/blogmarc/foundingbloggers/wordpress/wp-content/plugins/wp-cache/wp-cache-phase2.php on line 98
Some Schools Excusing Kids From Obama Speech | Founding Bloggers

Some Schools Excusing Kids From Obama Speech

September 3, 2009

Chicago Breaking News is reporting that a number of schools in the Chicago area are going to allow parents to keep their kids out of class during President Obama’s speech to the nation’s children.

While the whole effort of this administration to politically indoctrinate kids into service toward the state community is creepy, keeping the kids out of class might be the wrong answer.

Give kids some credit. Don’t underestimate a child’s innate desire to reject what they are being fed by the authorities.

For the record, Founding Bloggers sees nothing wrong with a presidential address to students. Context is everything though, and the Department of Education’s suggested activities and exercises provide an abundant supply of context.

Here is what they recommend for PRE-K after the speech!

It might make sense to focus first on personal and academic goals so that community and country goals can be more readily created.

Why not rename it the Department of Citizen Creation?

And has anyone else noticed the Department of Education’s seal? Given what we have seen of Obama’s propaganda artwork, and what we now know about ACORN, the imagery and themes contained in the seal of the Department of Education look oddly familiar.

department-of-education-1 by you.

The only info we can find about the seal and its origin is from this link:

Three main parts comprise the seal for the Department of Education (NCES’ parent federal agency) – the tree, the leaves, and the sun rays. The U.S. Army Heraldry Directorate worked with the Secretary of Education to design the seal.

“With its sturdy trunk set in solid earth, the tree expresses the confidence and strength imparted to the individual through the development of the mind and the assimilation of knowledge. The glory and satisfaction of achievement are exhibited in its leaves. The background of sun and rays suggests the role of the Department in the promotion, nurturing, and encouragement of the best in all aspects of the nation’s educational system.”

Former Secretary of Education, Shirley Mount Hufstedler, selected the seal’s design in 1980.

Anyone know where this logo design came from? It’s probably nothing, but….it is curious, no?

Anyway, in honor of our newly found appreciation for the seal, we had the boys in Research & Development throw together a more accurate update:

Dept_of_Indoct_v2shdw by you.

Illustration by Drudge Potato Al

Tags: , , , ,

21 Responses to Some Schools Excusing Kids From Obama Speech

1. Virginia Patriot on September 3, 2009 at 5:03 pm

The correct name is, from 1984,

Ministry of Truth,

complete with continual correction of the record based on the shifting political winds….

2. Adam Stanhope on September 3, 2009 at 5:49 pm

I’m curious on what your position is regarding the words “Under God” in the Pledge of Allegiance.

This isn’t my personal beef – even though I’m an atheist, I don’t particularly care one way or the other about the presence of “Under God” in the pledge.

If you’re going to get worked up about exposing children to their PRESIDENT talking about being civic-minded as a form of indoctrination where do you fall in terms of “Under God” ?

Is one OK but not the other? If so, why?

3. Founding Blogger on September 3, 2009 at 6:08 pm

Adam, We have no position on it at all. We don’t care about it one bit. Leave it in. Take it out. We don’t care. The whole stupid debate is a luxury issue that in the face of the Jihad we have no luxury to indulge.

That isn’t meant dismissively. it’s just that it is hard to get worked into a lather over something so small in the face of such truly existential threats.

4. Marianne7 on September 3, 2009 at 6:32 pm

Adam, to answer, I am as uncomfortable with the pres indoctrinating as I would be wityh a preacher giving a lecture/sermon before graduation. Actually, I’m more concerned with the prez because its 1-6. Its like having the preacher in for orientation of grade school. Yeah, unpleasant thoughts, huh?

5. james on September 3, 2009 at 8:03 pm

Ronald Reagan spoke to American students in 1988. Halfway through his remarks he said:

“Today, to a degree never before seen in human history, one nation, the United States, has become the model to be followed and imitated by the rest of the world. But America’s world leadership goes well beyond the tide toward democracy. We also find that more countries than ever before are following America’s revolutionary economic message of free enterprise, low taxes, and open world trade. These days, whenever I see foreign leaders, they tell me about their plans for reducing taxes, and other economic reforms that they are using, copying what we have done here in our country.”

6. Twitted by Adrita1 on September 3, 2009 at 8:47 pm

[...] This post was Twitted by Adrita1 [...]

7. mcnorman on September 3, 2009 at 9:25 pm

Score another one for Drugde Al Potato! ROFL

8. Daddy-O on September 4, 2009 at 12:27 am

“By keeping the kids out of class, parents might be provoking the child’s curiosity about what it is mommy and daddy do not want them to be exposed to.”
    …I seriously doubt it. I remember as a kid a day off from school was a gift from the fun gods! Who cares why… IT’S A DAY OFF!! Woo-HOOO!

“Parents might be better advised to let their children attend the potential indoctrination, monitor what is being communicated to the child, and then have a series of conversations regarding the value, or lack thereof, of Obama’s rhetoric.”
    …Hmm, let the kids be exposed to someone who is trying to steer them in a direction that runs counter to my wishes, so we can talk about it later? …Uhh, isn’t parenting about protecting your child?

Nah. So, here’s my message for Obama- I’ll tell you what, Mr. President… you want to talk to my kid? Got a special message for him? You tell it to me, and I’LL pass it along… with my commentary, or course. Thems the rules in my house.

Why? Four words: I don’t trust you.

9. Lisa on September 4, 2009 at 12:35 am

You are wrong about letting the kids be exposed to this, claiming it will do no harm. Parents should keep them out of school, but by all means tell them why. Tell them the whole ugly truth. Kids want honest answers to their questions and it is a parent’s responsibility to deliver them. If a child already has some understanding of the evil this man is spewing, then making the child watch the speech would be akin to making him eat brussel sprouts.

10. Pietra on September 4, 2009 at 4:37 am

Isn’t it just a fundamental, unwavering golden NOT TO ADDRESS PEOPLE’S CHILDREN regarding your views on any political basis other than for their human rights? That was such a lowly, back-door approach on behalf of Obama, as a mother I am extremely angry that any person, much less a PRESIDENT would stoop to level of dirt. It’s a given we need to explain to our children why it isn’t good for anybody at all to explicitly enforce their views upon them and that they need to understand the nature of politics. The problem I fear is for younger, more impressionable, kids with weak family structures who will fall prey to these forced upon views without having the required amount of life experience to realize how deceptive this administration has become. Children are off limits. Come on people, this cannot be something good with warning signs this big. It was a desperate, thoughtless, immoral decision on behalf of our president to speak odaciously present himself in the Godlike fashion he did. Simply unspeakable!

11. [...] Some Schools Excusing Kids From Obama Speech - Founding Bloggers [...]

12. [...] Some Schools Excusing Kids From Obama Speech - Founding Bloggers [...]

13. BackwardsBoy on September 4, 2009 at 11:25 am

This is an address that needs to be viewed by children and parents together. The issue isn’t Obama giving a speech to students, it was the curriculum suggestions afterward that were creepy.
    If my son were still of school age, I’d watch it with him on YouTube. It’d be a wonderful opportunity to note leftist talking points and their fallacies.

14. mcnorman on September 4, 2009 at 2:16 pm

Why open Pandora’s Box?

15. rushmob56783 on September 4, 2009 at 10:49 pm

My child’s response on how to help the President;
    Don’t raise my Daddy’s taxes, Don’t take over health care, Give the stimulus money back to people who actually paid taxes, Stop spending my money that I haven’t even made yet, Secure our borders, Deport illegals, Be transparent, Fire people on your staff who cheated on their taxes, Adopt the Fair Tax, Shrink Government, Abolish Tenure in the Education System, Disband Acorn, Require an ID to vote, Be critical of countries rules by dictators, Believe in God!

16. Scott Alan on September 5, 2009 at 3:29 pm

There’s an article on this subject posted at Fire Breathing Christian that y’all might find interesing. It’s entitled “Stupid, Racist Parents Resist Messiah’s Address to Obama Youth.”

Here’s a link:

17. Lisa on September 6, 2009 at 12:20 am

I think that this has gotten out of hand, students should be able to listen to the President.

18. [...] Presidential address to all students prompts a “Keep Your Kids Home Day” movement, with Some Schools Excusing Kids From Obama Speech in Chicago all the way to a Texas school districts push back against Obama speech, after an [...]

19. Madcap on September 6, 2009 at 12:59 pm

Obama pushes… then pulls back. Pushes… then pulls back. He’s testing the water to see what he can get away with.
    Madcap

20. Madcap on September 6, 2009 at 1:01 pm

Oh yes, before I forget. I would like t invite you Founders to a new network I set up. Feel free to join. It’s only one day old. :)

21. human0101 on September 9, 2009 at 3:06 am

Keeping your kids home because you don’t want them to hear a speech from the president is ridiculously unpatriotic. He’s _the_president_. I’m not saying this because I support Obama; I’m saying it because I’m an American.

Aside from being unpatriotic, here’s a couple more reasons why it’s ridiculous:

1. Do you really think the president is going to say anything controversial or subversive in a speech to school children, for everyone to see? How naive about politics do you have to be to believe that?

2. How insecure do you have to be to feel threatened by a 15 minute speech? What is the president going to say to your kids in 15 minutes that you can’t counter with some simple after-school dinner conversation?

This is exactly the sort of thing that makes conservatives look bad.